You have made the life-changing decision to sell your home. Maybe you are moving out of the area to take a new job, maybe the family has grown and you need more space, or maybe just the opposite - it's time to downsize.
In the current market many sellers are realizing that a successful sale requires more than a standard marketing plan. Buyers have choices, so you need to compete. Your success will depend to a large extent on how you present your home to every buyer that walks through your door. The good news is you can dramatically improve the look and feel of your home in just a few simple, inexpensive steps.
Ten Keys for Showing Well
Consider these key points as you prepare your home for the market.
- You love your home and its many memories, but now you would love to sell it. It's time to put some thought into how you present your home to the public.
- Your home needs to leave a positive impression for prospective buyers. It needs to leave "memory points" that will distinguish it from the other homes in the area selling in the same price range as yours.
- Home staging is all about perception. Emphasize your home's finer qualities. Camouflage its imperfections.
- Does your home have curb appeal? Start simple. Sweep away cob webs and dirt from the entrance. Trim the trees and shrubs. Add flowers. Go a step further and add some color to your exterior by painting the trim or adding an accent color to the front door.
- Clean, clean, clean...Every buyer expects a clean house.
- Wash the windows inside and out.
- Replace the worn out and the dated wherever possible.
- Add some life to your home by going beyond beige and white. A fresh coat of paint makes everything look better. Seek some professional advice. Color will add interest to your home and create memory points.
- Start packing. Any items that you do not use in every day living should be packed and put away in storage.
- Call a professional stager for an assessment. Your stager can give your home a finished look by adding accessories, arranging furniture, and hanging artwork that emphasize your home's finer qualities.
This information is provided courtesy of Dan Miller, Shawn Kriewaldt, Chris Venden, Dasha Shy, and Jodi Shehadi of Keller Williams Realty and DaneCountyMarket.com. For more information, please contact:
Don't forget: if you're buying or selling, whether your timeline is 3 months or 3 years, we can help.